4kcbwday7 Looking Forward One year from now, when the 5th Knitting & Crochet Blog Week rolls around, where do you hope your crafting will have taken you to? What new skills, projects and experiences do you hope you might have conquered or tried?
The skill that comes to mind is tied to the post from yesterday about tools. It goes back to spinning. I have been planning to look at spinning wheels in the fall, likely at Rhinebeck. I have not decided if I will also make a purchase then. But I have been slowly gathering information while thinking about what space and room I have.
Like this knitting thing, its clear spinning is not something that is a quick fad for me. It is something that I want to learn more of and embrace. I also want to learn moe techniques in spinning. I haven’t Navajo, chain, or mad three ply yarn. All things I want to try and hopefully get a hold of. I bought a sampler of Puni style rolags to give long draw a spinning a try. I want to get a support spindle and give that a try.
So one of my major goals over the next year is to expand my spinning. Something I can hopefully do, as the months go on. It’s not a if I will be running out of fiber anytime soon.
Comparing my Etsy shop in 2011 and 2012 is has grown a lot, as I find my flow, which seems to be a combination of geeky jewelry and stitch markers. Both overt and covert. I had a great conversation about video games, Nintendo, game shops, all because I was wearing my invincibility star earrings, when I went to pick up my new boots.
Going forward I want to continue that trend, of having items that are attention catching to some. Being at an event or party and starting a conversation, because someone asks if your earrings are a Tardis, or just a really pretty blue.
And somedays you decide to show some Potter Pride. Because otherwise you are in a suit for work and where is the fun in that? Did I mention I just bought purple leather boots? Yeah I like adding a dash of quirk.
So with that I think I want to have more regular updates. Starting with Monthly updates, excluding restocking, or re-listing items. And possibly growing to bi-weekly in the summer, and weekly around the holidays.
That way everyone knows when an update is coming, and are ready to see something new. Possibly a newsletter to let everyone know when things are coming. Still putting ideas together for that. So stay tuned for the first scheduled Etsy update, on the third Friday of the month (1/18). Now I’m off to make things so I have something to show for this update.
There are a lot of things I enjoy, many a random show or movie I can quote. Sometimes in context sometimes to the amusement or horror of those around. I find it hard to hear the word spoilers shout being tempted to say “hello sweetie” one of my new favorite nail colors is right now is ” I think you call me…sexy.”
I go places where phrases like”…and the old spice guy and slave leia dead pool” are perfectly relevant and in context or “yes the TARDIS is bigger on the inside.”
I like things and assume that I am in fact not the only one. I like having different degrees of nerdery in my life. I also enjoy making things, crafting since the wee age of 7/8 where I got a book on crafts that came with one of those little inserts with supplies for one or two of the projects described in the book. I had already been using my mother’s fabric
The only surprise about my knitting is that I didn’t learn until I was 23. I had been playing, with beads, fabric, string, ribbon, and what have you for over a decade by that point.
There are always ideas in my head trying to get out be it in a craft, writing, or some other way that comes across my fingers. so what are all the things that I want to work on but haven’t started or finished?
- Marvel Scarf 2012 is your year
- Hades cowl
- Athena shawl
- Artemis caplet
- Aphrodite fingerless mitts
- Hermes Socks
- Ares gloves or gauntlet – notice a theme?
- Möbius labyrinth cowl – actually I just wound the yarn to make this happen so yay progress
- Have you all seen dc women in sweaters? I want to make Batwoman’s cape. Double knit in all it’s red and black glory oh I’ve thought about this
- Harley Quinn Scarf
- Bat family scarf
- Spider man gloves
You all get the idea – yes there is more lots more I haven’t even Talked about the other crafts I mean I Harry and Hermonie earrings but no Ron? Neville? Sacrilege really. So many crafts so little time. Now the next time I say I have no ideas someone point me to this post.
So I have compiled a list of prompts to be talked about in January. A lot of them are from the 30 days of knitting that can be found on Tumblr I combined a lot of items or removed some I didn’t think I could talk much about. And added other categories from recommendations from friends online and off.
The prompts are grouped by category and do not have dates listed on them. I may list on Sunday the Seven questions I will answer that week. Or I may go wild. There are even with the combinations and deletions more than thirty one prompts. So some will likely not get answered. Others may get combined further, ie stashing and favorite yarn stores. Some will make sense to talk about around certain dates. Knitting/Fiber events will likely be spoken about during/after VKL for example. FOs and WIPs post will depend on what I am working on and progress made.
– What fiber or yarn do you love working with? /Do you have a favorite pattern or designer?
– Where do you keep your stash? How do you track it?
– Yarn list: some of your favorites /brand/weight/ etc
– What comes first the Yarn or the Project?
– Does any of your yarn have a story? How it was made? Bought? Entered your stash?
– What was your first finished project? /How did you learn how to knit? /How long did it take from the time your learned how to knit, to finish your first project?
– What is currently on your needles?
– What is your favorite piece that you’ve knit? /Your least favorite?
– What’s your most challenging project?
– Have you ever made your own pattern or dyed your own yarn? How did it turn out
– 2011 Projects In review
– Current WIP
-Most recent finished Object
– Current WIP
-Most recent finished Object
– Do you watch movies and/or listen to podcasts while knitting? What are your favorite things to knit to?
– Do you knit in public? Was anyone offended/incredibly happy/curious that you were doing so?
– Do you knit gifts for friends and family for the holidays or birthdays? Have you ever stricken someone off your to-knit-for list because they didn’t appreciate/take care of your last knitted gift to them?
– How do you acquire most of yarn? Online retailers, local yarn shops, swaps, or large chain craft stores? What’s your favorite?
– Knitting Magazines/Books – Favorites/ Shelf
– Knitting Events – Rhinebeck, VKL, TNNA, Maryland Sheep & Wool, etc
– 2012 Year goals dreams etc
– 2011 accomplishments
-11 shawls in 2011
– New Skills in Craft
– How did it start?
-Why are you a geek?
– Favorite Books
– Favorite Movies
– Comic book favorites
– Let’s talk about writing
– Books vs. movies
– Reboots vs. Sequels
– Marvel Vs. DC
– Circulars vs. DPNs vs Straight Needles
– Mittens vs Gloves vs arm warmers
– Charts vs written instructions