Dyeing yarn (and apparently hair) with Kool Aid is not a new thing even if it was new to me. I finally, Finally finished Damson…or ran out of yarn, and not wanting to start some strange cycle of buying Sliver Fox I cast off before I got to the edging, I’ll just have to make the shawl again someday.
I had been thinking about the fact that I already had one shawl in this colorway. Batik. So I made my way to this knitty article and followed the instructions. The only difference being I had a FO and not a hank of yarn.
I started with 2 packets of grape flavored kool aid. You know purple.
You can just barely make out the colors that it picked up there. Some small hints of purple. Fun fact the water was apparently warm enough that the yarn picked up all the dye before I put it in the microwave. So I added my packets of red dye (cherry).
I think this bowl shot its easiest to see the way the purple and red blended together. Overall I think the shall came out pretty nice, and I put it down to block it out.
I wore it today and I have to say even after Blocking and washing it in wool wash it still has that sweet smell of Kool Aid though moderated slightly so its not overwhelming. All in all I think my first kool Aid dyeing experiment went pretty well.
Also, I’ve been watching Game of Thrones on HBO. And its possible I visited the food truck a couple times while it was in the City. Though I only got to it while they still had lemon cakes once. This past Sunday to g0 with the third episode I made Lemon cakes (PDF) following the official recipe.
The recipe felt surprisingly simple but they were tasty and I put my ramekins to good use. I think its a recipe I may use again come summer and BBQ season possibly see if I can find a smaller set of ramekins and make bite sized lemon cakes.